Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Full Metal Jacket

In our class, we watched a movie called, Full Metal Jacket. In the movie, there was a character named Leonard. At the end of his training, he went into the bathroom and shot himself in the head. His peers beat him with bars of soap in his sleep and treated him as if he were an outcast. the drill Sargent humiliated Leonard, and often punished his peers for mistakes he'd made. If I was in Leonard's situation, I wouldn't kill myself, but I might kill the people who hurt me later on in combat. In the movie, there was another character named Joker who disagreed with Vietnam war, which was the era that the movie took place in. Despite his position in the war, Joker was drafted and had to go to war. On his helmet was written, "Born to Kill", and on his jacket he wore a button with a peace symbol. When asked what it meant and was it a joke he replied that, "it reepresented the duality of the war." Joker was a journalist, so he showed his disagreement with the war using sarcasm. He was not allowed to directly speak out against the war, as it was against the law for him. I think I would feel like Joker in the war. After viewing Full Metal Jacket I see how much I disagree with the war also.

No comments: